Restaurant Supervisor Job Description
Department: Restaurant, Food & Beverage.
Reports to: Restaurant Manager
To co-ordinate the activities of the staff to deliver quality products and service to Restaurant customers.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Train, supervise, counsel and discipline restaurant staff for the efficient operation of the outlet. Organize and conduct pre-shift and departmental meetings communicating pertinent information to the staff, such as house count and menu changes.
- Interact positively with customers promoting hotel facilities and services. Resolve problems to the satisfaction of involved parties. Answer telephones in a clear voice, coordinate and document reservations. Maintain rapport with all departments and attend relevant meetings.
- Move throughout the facility and kitchen areas to visually monitor and take action to ensure food quality and service standards are met. Verify temperatures, judge appearance and taste of products and check preparation methods to determine quality. Give guidance toward improvement and make necessary adjustments for consistency.
- Assist in menu design, development and printing.
- Maintain profitability of outlet to support overall hotel operation. Ensure par stock levels are maintained by calculating inventory, ordering and retrieving supplies and stocking shelves. Evaluate cost effectiveness of all aspects of operation. Develop and implement cost-saving and profit-enhancing measures.
- Utilize computer to accurately charge customers, create forecast and revenue reports and write correspondence. Input data on Infogenesis as and when required.
- Complete monthly inventory for all areas of the Restaurant.
- Ensure that all standards and hotel cash handling procedures are met.
- Ensure adequate staffing levels for anticipated business during shift and compile fortnightly rosters.
- Ensure compliance with local government laws and regulations.
- Coach staff to adhere to outlet service standards.
- Maintain cleanliness of all outlets-restaurant, service areas, room service, floor landing for room service trays.
- Solicit feedback from guests concerning food, beverages, service and improvement ideas.
- Manage and evaluate customer satisfaction through Unifocus.
- Consistently evaluate processes and systems and assist in development and design of new processes and/or process improvements.
- Ensure maintenance of equipment by calling for repairs and training staff on correct use.
- Ensure employee hours are managed to comply with the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997.
- Produce payroll reports from timepoint fortnightly to include employees hours, overtime and deductions, leavers and starters.
- Manage employee holidays to ensure there is adequate cover in restaurant.
- Support the entire Food & Beverage operation including supervising other areas if necessary, handling special projects, running promotions, handling public relations and marketing.
- Provide clean and safe environment by assigning and assisting with cleaning.
- Be aware of current industry knowledge and trends.
Specific job knowledge, skill and ability
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Thorough knowledge of Food & Beverage outlet operations including foods, beverages, supervisory aspects, service techniques and guest interaction.
- Ability to communicate in English, both orally and written, with guests and employees, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact, and diplomacy to defuse anger and to collect accurate information and to resolve problems.
- Ability to work under pressure and deal with stressful situations during busy periods.
- Any combination of education, training or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Position requires 2 years previous Food & Beverage and supervisory experience.
- University degree preferred
- Food Service Sanitation certification.
- CPR Certification and/or First Aid training preferred.
To view lots of F & B job descriptions on Tourism Recruit please click here.
To view all our live bar jobs please click here.