Assistant Restaurant Manager Job Description
Responsible for the management of all aspects of the main hotel Restaurant, in accordance with the hotel standards. Directs, implements and maintains a service and management philosophy which serves as a guide to respective staff.
REPORTS TO: Restaurant Manager, Food & Beverage Manager
Restaurant Staff, Bar Staff, Food & Beverage Leaders, Services Staff, Stewarding Staff, Kitchen Staff, Catering and Sales Staff, Purchasing and Storeroom Staff, Reception Desk Staff, Cafeteria Staff, Cashiers, Accounting, Human Resources, Housekeeping Staff, Executive Offices and Engineering
Hotel guests/visitors and suppliers
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves, other employees or guests.
- College Degree in Hospitality Management preferable.
- Three years of experience as an Food and Beverage Supervisor or Assistant Manager.
- Food handling certificate.
- Knowledge of various food service styles (i.e., French service, Russian service, tableside flambé service, butler style service).
- Ability to satisfactorily communicate in English with guests, management and co-workers to their understanding.
- Ability to provide legible communication.
- Ability to compute basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to maintain hotel’s standards, policies and procedures with assigned staff.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments; delegate work.
- Ability to direct performance of assigned staff and follow up with corrections where needed.
- Ability to motivate staff and maintain a cohesive team.
- Ability to ascertain staff training needs and provide such training.
- Ability to be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems, exercising good judgment.
- Ability to focus attention on details.
- Ability to suggestively sell menu items, beverages and wines.
- Ability to input and access information into P.O.S. system.
- Ability to exert physical effort in transporting equipment and wares.
- Ability to endure abundant physical movements in carrying out job duties.
- Ability to ensure security of storage room access and
- hotel property.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
- Wine Knowledge.
- Maintain complete knowledge of service requirements for assigned functions:
- All liquor brands, beers and non-alcoholic selections available in Cam.
- Particular characteristics/descriptions of wines/champagnes ordered.
- Designated glassware and garnishes for drinks.
- All menu items, preparation method/time, ingredients, sauces, portion sizes, garnishes, presentation and prices.
- Daily menu specials, 86 items.
- Guest room layout, locations and room numbers/names.
- P.O.S. and manual system procedures.
- Daily house count, arrivals/departures, VIPs.
- Scheduled in-house group activities, locations and times.
- Correct maintenance and use of equipment.
- All departmental policies/service procedures.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and strictly abide by state liquor regulations, particularly those prohibiting service to minors, intoxicated persons and drunk driving.
- Check storage areas for proper supplies, organization and cleanliness. Instruct designated personnel to rectify any cleanliness/organization deficiencies.
- Establish par levels for supplies and equipment. Complete requisitions to replenish shortages and additional items needed for the anticipated business.
- Periodically check with the Reception Desk to review updates on house count and arrivals.
- Prepare weekly work schedules in accordance with staffing guidelines and labor forecasts. Adjust schedules throughout the shift to meet the business demands.
- Ensure that assigned staff have reported to work; document any late or absent employees.
- Coordinate breaks for assigned staff.
- Assign stations and side work to Servers in accordance with departmental procedures. Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the shift. Identify situations which compromise the department’s standards and delegate these tasks.
- Conduct pre-shift meeting with Servers and review all information pertinent to set-up and service of group.
- Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
- Inspect table set-ups; check for cleanliness, neatness and agreement with guest’s order and departmental standards; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Inspect, plan and ensure that all materials and equipment are in complete readiness for service; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Constantly monitor staff performance in all phases of service and job functions, ensuring that all procedures are carried out to departmental standards; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Check for status of all orders and ensure that they are delivered within designated timelines.
- Assist staff with their job functions to ensure optimum service to guest.
- Conduct formal training program on the required job functions with criterion expected and department orientation with new hires. Conduct ongoing training with existing staff.
- Monitor guest reactions and confer frequently with service staff to ensure guest satisfaction. Conduct guest call backs to check on guest satisfactions and offer further assistance.
- Anticipate guest’s needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day. Promote positive guest relations at all times.
- Be familiar with all hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond accurately to any guest inquiry.
- Monitor and handle guest complaints by following the instant pacification procedures and ensuring guest satisfactions.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness and working condition of departmental equipment, supplies and work areas.
- Assist in taking guests’ orders, following specified procedures, as necessary to ensure department standards.
- Access all functions of the Micros system in accordance to specifications. Restock journal tape and change ribbons as needed.
- Organize and prepare restaurant seating according to reservation books. Ensure delivery times are met and menus are maintained clean and available.
- Check restaurant, bar set-ups, buffet/reception tables and coffee breaks for cleanliness, attractiveness and layout; ensure agreement with function order and department standards; resolve any problem. Ensure replenishments of items as specified and requested by group contact.
- Ensure all closing duties for staff are completed before staff sign out.
- Provide feedback to staff on their performance. Handle disciplinary problems and counsel employees according to hotel standards.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale.
- Prepare and submit daily/weekly payroll and tip distribution records.
- Complete work orders for maintenance repairs and submit to Engineering. Contact Engineering directly for urgent repairs.
- Document pertinent information in department logbook.
- Complete all paperwork and closing duties in accordance with departmental standards.
- Review status of assignments and any follow-up action with manager and/or on-coming supervisor.
- Complete and direct scheduled inventories.
- Prepare weekly forecast revenues, covers and labor costs.
- Conduct monthly departmental meetings.
- Attend designated meetings, menu and wine tasting.
- Interview applicants.
- Organize breaks for staff.
- Expedite on floor or in kitchen as business demands.
- Complete departmental filing.
- Order flowers from supplier.
To view all job F & B descriptions click here.
To view all jobs on Tourism Recruit you can apply here.